Many of us would love to simplify our lives. There are too many demands on our time – work, family, pets, hobbies, taking care of the home, etc. Even the technology that should make life easier adds to the stress because we receive too much information to easily digest and manage it. We have too much stuff which leads to too much clutter.
When I Googled “simply your life,” there were over 15.7 million hits: 16 ways or 25 easy ways or 21 quick actions and even the 10 most important things to simplify in your life. Obviously, there is no one-size-fits-all way to simplify life. If anyone had the perfect solution, there wouldn’t be so many books and articles about simplifying life.
But I think any plan to simplify life involves three key decisions: what you do with things, how you use your time, and how you interact with people.
So to keep it simple:
- Set realistic goals
- Reduce the amount of stuff you have
- Organize your space and put stuff away
- Stick to a routine, e.g. get up and go to bed at the same time everyday
- If you don’t have time, tell people no
- Remove distractions
- Disconnect and schedule some quiet time everyday
- Spend time with the people who really matter
C’est la vie!